August 15, 2017
On behalf of the New Castle Area School District Board of Education, Administration, and Staff; I would like to extend best wishes to you and your family for a successful 2017-18 school year.
We have spent much of the summer preparing for this upcoming year. This preparation included the upgrading of District Facilities, programs, and staffing:
- New Principal Assignments as follows; Mrs. Jonalyn Romeo, Asst. Jr./Sr. High School Principal; Mrs. Tabitha Marino and Mr. David Antuono, Co-Principals, George Washington Intermediate School; Mr. Joseph Anderson, Principal, Harry W. Lockley Early Learning Center.
- The hiring of a School Social Worker to serve the students and families at the Harry W. Lockley Early Learning Center.
- STEAM and office renovations at the George Washington Intermediate School.
- Continued upgrades of the lower level of the Jr./Sr. High School in preparation for the Engineering, Computer Science and Gaming Course offering.
We are now requesting that you partner with us in helping your child become an excellent learner and productive citizen.
- First, and of the utmost importance…please read the enclosed School Vaccination Requirements for Attendance in Pennsylvania Schools. All students are required to have their vaccinations up to date by the end of the 5th day of school or provide proof from your doctor that an appointment has been scheduled. Students out of compliance must be excluded from school!
- Second, make a contact with your child’s teacher. Drop a note, send an email, or make a phone call. This serves to keep the lines of communication open and will enable you to support your child in meeting his or her academic goals.
- Further, take advantage of all the resources the District has to offer. New Castle has excellent programming to assist all students. Tutoring is available at no charge for all students in grades kindergarten through twelve, which includes a comprehensive after-school program for grades K-2 and 3 through 8 which provides tutoring, enrichment, and dinner as well as credit recovery for students in grades 9 through 12; counselors are available for any student needing assistance; and college preparatory and vocational programs are available to support students as they prepare for life beyond high school. If you need support, please ask; and we will do our best to assist you.
- Last, please be a Great Ambassador for the New Castle Area School District and public education in general. Recently, public education has come under tremendous threat and attack, in many cases for political reasons which have nothing to do with “What’s best for kids.” Although you may not always agree with decisions made by teachers, principals, or District administration; please know that we always have your child’s academic success as our top priority. We always strive to act on what is best for children. Public education remains the best resource available to ensure that our students, your children, become lifelong learners and productive citizens.
Finally, I would like to leave you with this quote by former US President John F. Kennedy, who said, “Let us think of education as the means of developing our greatest abilities, because in each of us there is a private hope and dream which fulfilled, can be translated into benefit for everyone and great strength for our nation.”
We look forward to seeing all Students on Wednesday, August 30, 2017 for the first day of classes. Let’s have an amazing year!
John J. Sarandrea
Superintendent of Schools