In recognizing that student performance will be benchmarked against state, national and international standards, as well as standardized achievement tests, the New Castle Area School District acknowledges that a system of assessment and evaluation of student performance can assist the students, teachers, and parents with the following:
- regularly monitoring the students’ progress in the successful acquisition of particular skills and knowledge.
- providing aid in determining a student’s perceived ability or readiness to learn.
- identifying academic weaknesses and strengths so that educators can provide specialized academic support.
PSSA (Pennsylvania System of School Assessment)
The Pennsylvania Department of Education requires school districts in Pennsylvania to administer Pennsylvania System of School Assessments (PSSA tests) in the Spring of each school year. Students in Grades 3-8 take the English Language Arts Assessment (ELA) and Mathematics Assessment. Students in Grades 4 & 8 take the Science Assessment.
For additional information about the PSSA tests, please click the links below for the Parent/Guardian PSSA Letter:
- George Washington Intermediate Parent/Guardian PSSA Letter (English)
- George Washington Intermediate Parent/Guardian PSSA Letter (Spanish)
The Pennsylvania Department of Education requires school districts in Pennsylvania to administer Keystone Assessments as end-of-course assessments. Keystone exams are designed to assess proficiency in the completion of the following courses: Algebra I, Biology, and Literature. (Algebra I, Literature II, Biology) Keystone exams are also used in accordance with Act 158 Graduation Pathways. Click HERE to learn more about Graduation Pathways and Keystones.
The results of all Keystone Exams will be reported to the individual student’s parent(s)/guardian(s). In addition to individual student results, the District will receive subject area results that show how well our students are performing on these exams. School personnel will use the information to analyze our educational programs.